Sunday, December 23, 2007

Daily Devotion!


Kevin listened politely as his elderly neighbor chattered on. "You and my grandson Allen would get along so well together," Mrs Crane was saying. "He really enjoys skating. And did I tell you that he plays football?"
Kevin nodded. "And that he's in my grade in school," he said, "and that he has a baseball card collection."
Mrs Crane nodded happily as she left.
Kevin turned to his mother. "I don't know how often Mrs. Crane has told me about her grandson," he said. "I think I must know just about all there is to know about him. He sounds like a nice guy, but to tell the truth, I'm tired of hearing about him. I wish she'd either introduce us or forget the whole thing."
The next Saturday, it happened! The doorbell rang, and there was Mrs. Crane and a boy about Kevin's age. "Hi, Kevin," said Mrs. Crane. "This is Allen, my grandson." She smiled at Allen. "And this is Kevin," she added.
Allen was visiting his grandmother for a week, so the boys played together often. Both had a great time.
"I'm glad Mrs. Crane finally introduced Allen and me," Kevin told his parents one day. "I knew all about him for a long time, but now I actually know him."
Mom smiled. "You can 'know about,' or you can 'know.' The elimination of one small word makes a lot of difference, doesn't it?" she asked.
Dad nodded. "It's like that when it comes to Jesus, too," he said. "Some people know about Him, yet they don't know Him personally."
"I often think of that at this time of year," added Mom. "Many have heard the Christmas story over and over. But knowing about Jesus isn't enough. It's as useless as knowing about Allen."
Kevin nodded. "I was really tired of hearing Mrs. Crane talk about him," he said. "Knowing somebody personally is so much better than just hearing about him. I'm glad I know Allen now, and I'm especially glad I know Jesus."
MEMORY VERSE: You may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:13
HOW ABOUT YOU? Have you heard over and over how Jesus came to earth as a baby? Perhaps you've also heard how He died on the cross to save sinners. Is it getting boring to hear the same stories again and again? Maybe that's because you only know about Jesus, but you don't know Him personally. You need to realize what He did for you and get to actually know Him. Accept Him as your Savior and friend today. (See the ABCs at the end of this book.)
THE KEY: You can know Jesus personally

2 comments:

blended by grace said...

Thanks for sharing this, Sweetie! It's very fitting for the Christmas season.

The best gift I've ever been given is what Jesus did on the cross.
Ephesians 2:4-5 says: "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved."

I love you,
Mama

The Farrell Family said...

I think that story was great! It's so true that many people have heard about Jesus but don't have a personal relationship with him, which is the MOST important part. Maybe someone who reads your blog will be inspired to learn more about God and will take the step to really invite God into their heart. That would be great!

I'm proud of you for spreading the good news!

XOXO