Sunday, October 14, 2007

Daily Devotion!


Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.
A young man who was confused about his future and in a quandary as to which direction to take with his life as he sat in a park, watching squirrels scamper among the trees. Suddenly, a squirrel jumped from one high tree to another. It appeared to be aiming for a limb so far out of reach that the leap looked like suicide. As the young man had anticipated, the squirrel missed its mark but landed, safe and unconcerned, on a branch several feet lower. Then it climbed to its goal, and all was well.
An old man sitting on the other end of the bench remarked, "Funny, I've seen hundreds of 'em jump like that, especially when there are dogs all around and they can't come down to the ground. A lot of 'em miss, but I've never seen any get hurt trying." Then he chuckled and added, "I guess they've got to risk it if they don't want to spend their whole life in one tree."
The young man thought, A squirrel takes a chance. Do I have less nerve than a squirrel? He made up his mind in that moment to take the risk he had been thinking about. Sure enough, he landed safely, in a position higher than he had ever dared imagine.
What dream are you aiming for? Does it seem out of reach? Take a leap of faith. God will catch you if you fall.
Aim for perfection.
2 Corinthians 13:11

3 comments:

The Farrell Family said...

I love this devotion, Kayla! Have you heard the saying, the bigger the risk...the bigger the reward? This story makes me think of Daddy. When we first met he had been working as a manager at a lumber company. His dream was to be a teacher. In order to do this he needed to go back to school and get his Masters Degree. It was a big risk to switch careers and to go back to school after such a long absence. He knew that God wanted him to be a teacher...so he took the leap. Now he is an amazing teacher and positively influences the students in his class and the teachers that he works with. God opened the door and helped him to achieve his destiny.

We love you Kayla! Can't wait to see you on Thursday!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

KK- I love the story of this squirrel! What I know for sure that if I take a risk and fall to another branch, or even to the ground below, God is there to catch
me!

When I know what God's dreams are for me I can shoot to the moon. I love the Bible quote that says:

If you but have faith as small as a mustard seed, nothing shall be impossible for you!!

That's God's promise and I believe Him!

I look forward to seeing how the Lord will help you to achieve your dreams!

Miss you so much and I love you to the moon and back! Your Nana

blended by grace said...

Kayla,
I don't think I'll ever look at the squirrels in our yard the same way after reading that story! Many times I have watched them leap from tree to tree and been amazed at how fearless they are at great heights!

I pray that as you continue to grow in your relationship with the LORD He will give you the dreams and desires that He has always had planned for you! Then take the leap for your dreams like those fearless squirrels!

You are a beautiful, intelligent and sensitive young lady and I have NO doubt that God has HUGE plans for your life!

I love you!
Mom