Saturday, October 13, 2007

Devotion Of The Day!

Whatever you dislike in another person, take care to correct yourself.
In A Closer Walk, Catherine Marshell writes: "One morning last week He gave me an assignment: for one day I was to go on a 'fast' from criticism. I was not to criticise anyone about anything."
"For the first half of the day, I simply felt a void, almost as if I'd been wiped out as a person. This was especially true at lunch....I listened to others and kept silent....In our talkative family no one seemed to notice. Bemused, I noticed that my comments were not missed. The federal government, the judicial system, and the institutional church could apparently get along fine without my penetrating observations. But still I didn't want to what this fast on criticism was accomplishing-until mid afternoon."
"That afternoon, a specific, positive vision of life dropped into my mind with God's unmistakable hallmark on it-joy! Ideas began to flow away everything that I had not experienced in years. Now it was apparent what the Lord wanted me to see. My critical nature had not corrected a single one of the multitudinous things I found fault with. What it had done was to stifle my own creativity."
Before you are tempted to criticise someone, examine your own life. While you may not commit the same act or have the same habit you're about to criticise, you probably have some behavior that could be criticised. Don't stifle your creativity with criticism!
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"
Matthew 7:3

3 comments:

The Farrell Family said...

Great reminder, Kayla! We all need to turn our attention from others to keep focused on God. Thanks for sharing! Love you!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Sweetie!
I LOVE these daily devotionals! So often we get irritated with others when the real focus needs to be on changing ourselves in the ways that God wants us to change.

I always loved the quote:

God loves me just the way I am
and He loves me too much to let me stay that way!

Love you so much and miss you tons! Your Nana

blended by grace said...

This is so true, Kayla. It's funny because I didn't have the time to leave my comment after I first read this post. Then while we were waiting in line today at Greenbluff; I suddenly got an unpleasant waft of cigarette smoke in my face! I'm sure you noticed it too. As I looked around to find "the culprit" I noticed a couple sitting at a nearby table and they were smoking cigarettes. Now, you know your Mom. I was beginning to feel irritated, my face was starting to flush, and just as I was thinking about how sheerly selfish these people were for smoking around families in public, I was reminded of your devotion!!!
Thank you for encouraging your Mom today! I needed it!
I love you so much,
Mom